Selling this Summer?By: Simon Hughes
Ultimately the job of any reputable estate agent is to market a property showcasing its best features in order to:
· Find a buyer who is offering the best price
· Ensuring the property sale progresses smoothly and in the shortest possible timeframe
To achieve this a seller can help themselves and here are a few tips;
· Spring-clean. Buyers love being greeted by a sparking, decluttered home. High-strength warm lightbulbs and clean windows will also make rooms look lighter.
· Remove signs of a makeshift office from the dining room table, clear away kids’ toys and turn the junk room back into a bedroom.
· Developers spend a fortune on their show-flats. There is a reason for this! If your property is empty, consider having it professionally dressed – it doesn’t have to cost you a fortune and you should get the money back in the increased price you achieve. You could always use the furniture as an incentive to incoming buyers. We can advise you!
· Listen to feedback given by past viewers. For example, if everybody thought that a hallway was poky you can buy mirrors to enhance the feel of space. Perhaps a lick of off-white paint too?
· Tidy the garden or outside space. If a flat, and the approach is owned by a neighbour, then offer free help to clear it thus providing a great first impression.
· Think website portals and try to hit their price points. For example, if your home is worth in the region of £410,000 then market it on for a guide price of £400,000 to £425,000 or you may omit those looking for £400,000 (who may well be prepared to pay more than their original budget to secure your beautiful home!).
· Finally, if your property has been on with another agent, and you are not in a desperate rush, then I recommend a 14-week break from the market as it will then show as a new instruction rather than a price reduction on the portals. This will achieve a much higher response.
I hope this helps. Please don’t fall into the mindset that any viewer will see the potential as it is not true – show them!