Tenant Fee BanBy: Simon Hughes
From 1st June this year it will become illegal for landlords and agents to charge tenant fees. The only chargeable events are for (based on reasonable costs):
• Lost keys
• Late payments / breach of contract
• Adding a new person onto an existing tenancy (£50 max)
This new legislation is likely to have short-term benefit for those tenants looking to rent long-term, but there are question marks as to whether rents may creep up as a consequence.
Many agents are waiting for the 1st June deadline before they fall in-line with these new laws.
We have taken the decision to remove all fees NOW for new tenancies as we feel this is the right thing to do, it should also PREVENT the properties that Conran market from stagnating as tenants are likely to wait until the 1st June to save themselves these costs thus increasing landlords void periods.
Furthermore, we have taken the decision NOT to increase fees to landlords.
If you are a landlord and looking for an agent who have your best interests at heart, then please contact me. These are my assurances:
• Your rent will be cleared funds in your account the following working morning (after we receive it). We don’t make our Landlords wait 5-days!
• We can protect your property and rent payment with 12-weeks rent cover at no extra cost to you
• We know all 170 points of lettings legislation inside out to protect you